Celebrating 25 years | July 26-29
NCKP 2023: The Piano Conference
Share. Engage. Inspire.
Call for Proposals
NCKP: The Piano Conference celebrates and advances the international field of piano teaching, learning, and performing through the dissemination of innovative ideas, cutting-edge research, and diverse perspectives.
NCKP 2023 advances and supports the international field of piano teaching, learning, and performing. To celebrate its rich, twenty-five-year history, NCKP 2023 features an in-person gathering with a return to Lombard, Illinois. In addition, the conference includes online opportunities to provide broad and far-reaching access.
We seek proposals that share original ideas, engage our community, and inspire excellence and innovation. We invite proposals from educators, researchers, performers, and leaders in the field, and encourage proposals from emerging professionals and students. Proposals will be blind reviewed.
Topics can include, but are not limited to:
- Approaches to teaching and learning
- Business and entrepreneurship
- Career development
- Collaborative performance
- Community engagement
- Creative music making
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Early childhood education
- Group piano
- Higher education
- Inclusive teaching
- Independent music teaching
- Interdisciplinary subjects
- New professionals
- Social justice
- Teaching adults
Session Formats and Lengths
Sessions are twenty-five or fifty minutes in length, with the exception of lightning talks, and sessions are programmed for the in-person gathering or for online presentation. The formats are:
- Panel Presentation
- Interactive Workshop
- Keyboard Lab
- Lecture Recital
- Lightning Talks (5 minutes)
- Poster Session: There will be a separate call for posters in early 2023.
- Presenter name(s) and primary contact email address.
- Exact title of proposed session as it would appear in the conference program.
- An abstract of session, not to exceed 350 words.
- Description of session for the conference program, not to exceed 75 words.
- Format of proposed session.
- Preference for session length and modality.
- Lecture recital proposals must include a recording (audio only) of a representative excerpt from the program of the proposal. Submit an unrestricted viewing link from Dropbox or Google Drive. Name the files/folder with a shortened version of the title and ensure the presenter name is not displayed. Click here for link instructions.
- Topic category of proposed session. Consider the category carefully, with the primary intention in mind, as this assists in the proposal selection process.
- Short bio (35-50 words) of the presenter(s) as would appear in the program.
- Digital photo(s) of the presenter(s) suitable for the program. Color headshot preferred; 300dpi. File named by presenter (Last First). Max file size of 6 MB.
- Current resume or CV for each presenter. File named by presenter (Last First). Max file size of 6 MB.
The deadline to submit proposals is Monday, October 17, 2022, at 11:59PM PDT.
Proposal Policies and Conference Procedures
- Prior to proposal submission, proposers must communicate with all co-presenters regarding their interest and availability.
- Proposers must submit their own work and may not submit proposals on behalf of their students or others.
- Sessions may be programmed for the in-person gathering and/or for online presentation, either live or prerecorded. Submitters may select a preference at the time of proposal submission.
- The selection committee may request an alternative time length or format for selected proposals.
- Sessions that are commercial in nature are not eligible for review.*
- All persons who submit proposals will be notified of final program decisions by January 31, 2023.
- All persons whose work is selected are expected to register for and attend the NCKP 2023: The Piano Conference on July 26-29, 2023.
- Presenters are responsible for the standard equipment required to prepare and deliver sessions.
- Presenting at NCKP is a volunteer activity and NCKP does not offer any compensation or reimbursement for expenses of any kind incurred in connection with presenting NCKP.
- The conference schedule and format is subject to change without notice, including modifications to modality, duration, and timeframe, for reasons such as health and safety, and other reasons as deemed necessary.
- NCKP gives equal consideration for proposals without regard to the presenter’s race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, marital status, military status, veteran status, or any other status or classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
Having trouble with our form? Contact email@example.com for assistance.
*Sessions that are commercial in nature qualify as NCKP showcases. Showcase information forthcoming.
Registration and Conference details coming soon.