Attention budding composers! Piano Inspires Kids invites students to submit a piano solo for our first composition contest! Winning compositions will be featured in the Summer 2024 issue and on our website, kids.pianoinspires.com. Read below for all the details!
1. The composition must be a fanfare.
A fanfare is a short and usually brilliant piece used to announce the arrival of an important person or the beginning of an important event. Movies and TV shows often begin with a title theme, the national anthem signals the start of sporting events, and celebratory sounds fill the air as a newly wedded couple turns to walk down the aisle together.
The Summer 2024 issue will explore music and the Summer Olympic Games. Write a fanfare that could be used as the athletes walk into the stadium!
2. Need ideas? Get started with our downloadable Rhythm Creator!
Go to https://kids.pianoinspires.com/explore/activities/ to start building the rhythm for your composition.
3. The contest is open to students aged 7-18, divided into four age groups: 7-9, 10-12, 13-15, and 16-18.
There is no limit to the number of compositions a student can submit. The student composer may receive assistance notating their work, but we want the ideas to be all student generated!
4. Give your composition a title, dynamics, articulations, and other musical markings.
Show us all of your creative and expressive ideas so others can play your work with style!
5. The contest deadline is March 15, 2024 at 11:59 PM Pacific.
Submit compositions on our student submission page: kids.pianoinspires.com/submit.
We can’t wait to hear your fanfares!
Want to learn more about Piano Inspires Kids? Watch our webinar, “Inside Piano Inspires Kids: A New Publication of the Frances Clark Center” with Co-Editors-in-Chiefs Sara Ernst and Andrea McAlister: click here.
MORE ON PIANO INSPIRES KIDS
- DISCOVERY PAGE: How do you use Piano Inspires Kids in your studio? by Rebecca Mergen Pennington
- DISCOVERY PAGE: Piano Inspires Kids Excerpt: Listening Guide for the 12 American Preludes by Ginastera
- DISCOVERY PAGE: Piano Inspires Kids: An Interview with Co-Editors-in-Chief Andrea McAlister and Sara Ernst
- DISCOVERY PAGE: Piano Inspires Kids: Winter Issue Sneak Peak by Sara Ernst and Andrea McAlister