ABOUT THE COURSE
The Intermediate Course: Continuing Pianistic Growth and Development is organized into thirteen modules, several of which are divided into units on related topics. It is intended for those who are just beginning their teaching careers as well as experienced teachers seeking to expand their teaching skills related to intermediate study. Designed to introduce important concepts and material related to the teaching of intermediate students who are playing at approximately Levels 3-7, the course includes video content, readings, and reflection activities.
Each session may include:
- video teaching demonstrations
- video lectures (with downloadable transcript)
- reflection activities
Topics covered include:
- An introduction to intermediate teaching and learning
- Motivation and learning
- Curriculum assessment
- Lesson planning
- Foundational technique including warm-ups, scales, arpeggios, chords, and exercises and etudes
- Music reading and sight reading
- Rhythm and pulse
- Music theory and ear training
- Harmonization and chord progressions
- Composition and improvisation
- Standard Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Twentieth-Century intermediate piano literature
- Intermediate piano literature by educational composers
- Repertoire maintenance and practice techniques
- Coaching and preparing for performance
- Performance success
This is a fully online course comprised of video and written materials created and curated for the course, as well as material from Piano Magazine, Clavier Companion, Keyboard Companion, Frances Clark Center webinars, and books published by the Frances Clark Center.
This is a self-guided course. Students may progress through the course at their own pace following a prescribed order. Reflection questions encourage further consideration and application of the module materials. Students will not respond to these questions on the platform but are encouraged to complete the activities for their own personal use. Teachers should select those questions that will help them the most in their current instructional situation.
Course Leader: Dr. Jane Magrath.
Senior Editor: Dr. Pamela Pike.
Special lecturers and demonstration teachers include: Dr. Susanne Baker, Marvin Blickenstaff, Dr. Ivan Hurd, Dr. John Patrick Murphy.
Did you know? Piano Inspires subscribers receive 20% off all full-length course purchases! Email email@example.com for discount code.
Already enrolled in this course? Click here to log in as a student!